SEND Offer and Report

Crosthwaite Church of England Primary School Offer


How does the school know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think a child/young person may have special educational needs?

We have close relationships with parents and class teachers are encouraged to raise concerns and have discussions with parents and relevant colleagues. Staff are aware of expected development at different ages and have expertise in identifying additional / special educational needs / disability (SEND). If required, a specialist(s) will visit the school to offer further advice and guidance.  

If you have a concern about your child’s development please raise this with the class teacher in the first instance, who will then discuss it with the SENCO or Head Teacher as required.


How will school staff support my child/young person?

Class teachers are responsible for the education of all the children in their class. They plan the education programme for children who have or may have SEND with support from the school’s Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO). Where appropriate, children may be supported by an additional adult. For example, this support could be in class; in a small group outside the class or one-to-one.

The school has a nominated governor for Special Educational Needs (who reports directly to the governing body)


How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s/young person’s needs?

High quality teaching, differentiated for individual pupils, is the first step in responding to pupils who have or may have SEND. Additional intervention and support may be appropriate in some cases, enabling your child to access the full curriculum.


How will I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?

In addition to the school’s normal reporting arrangements, we also have an “open door” policy to enable more informal and frequent conversations with you and your child.

The progress of each child is carefully monitored and tracked on a regular basis. This information is discussed each half-term by staff to identify children requiring addition support. This, along with other information gathered, informs staff on the next steps for your child. Governors also monitor all progress termly, raising any concerns they have with the Head Teacher in the first instance. 

In some cases, your child may require an Individual Support Plan (ISP), Behaviour Management Plan (BMP) or Individual Education Plan (IEP), which will be drawn up in consultation with you and your child and reviewed regularly. For some children with profound and lifelong needs an Education Health and Care Assessment (EHC) may be requested with advice and support from external agencies.

Where appropriate we signpost parents to relevant agencies within the communities who can offer further support to you and your child.


What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

A wide range of small group interventions are used to support the wellbeing of children with SEND and to promote positive behaviour.

The school follows statutory guidance in the administration of medicines and provision of personal care.

Further information can be found in the relevant policies – please contact the school office.


What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

There is a wealth of experience and expertise in the school staff including those trained in Reading Intervention, Team Teach and Paediatric First Aid.

There is access to counselling and family support services for any child within the school provided by the Kendal Collaborative Partnership (KCP) Counselling and Family Support team.

Referrals can also be made to other agencies, including the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service, Barnado’s, educational psychologists and specialist advisory teachers.


What training is the staff receiving or have completed to support children and young people with SEN?

Staff share expertise through collaborative training opportunities within KCP as well as accessing local and national training. Individual staff development needs are identified and met as part of the formal appraisal process.


How accessible is the school environment?

Please refer to the school’s access plan a copy of this is available from the school office.


How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school or to transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life?

We have strong links with secondary schools and with other local primary schools.

Yearly transitions within school are carefully managed to support children’s wellbeing.

A range of transition strategies are put in place to support children at the end of key phases e.g. transition plans, extra visits, holiday activities. In all cases there will be liaison and communication between the schools.


How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

We aim to allocate resources appropriately to meet the needs of all children with special educational needs.

This can be discussed further depending on the child and the appropriate care they require.


How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

The decisions about the type of support your child needs will be based on discussions between all interested parties, including you as a parent. The amount and type of support will be reviewed on a regular basis (termly) against the progress your child has made.

Crosthwaite School SEND Info Report


Visit the Cumbria Council Local Offer Page for Crosthwaite